Tuesday, October 11, 2005

USVI

Well I’ve done it.
Achieved slugdom, reached the lethargic pinnacle of my slacker existence on St Thomas. This morning I was up at 7:30 but the sun came out and I needed to go back and nap. That made the final real up and start time the day more like 10:30. I have been “trying” to accomplish ONE thing a day. I guess this has given me time to reflex on a few things. First, St Thomas and the Caribbean in general….. Oh sure the weather is tropical but the history just ruins the vibes here for me. For locals, you have continentals “whites” and west indies “blacks”. Pigment social separation is still strong here. Then you have tourist. The economy is 100% tourism, on St Thomas. In my mind the island is a North American play ground. See Bahamas. In fact those are my entire Caribbean thoughts as well and you can include the Dutch, British and French as well. No slavery, plantations, however there is no work except the service of the tourist. Oh yeah there is also self governance. That is full of corruption and nepotism so I hear. Sure other Islands have oil and big industry (Trinadad) and some still grow sugars cane and make rum. Note in Trinidad sugar cane is heavily subsidized to give the locals employment. All of the things to do that you can read about are for the continentals and the tourist. You would think being from Alaska, I would be used to high tourist density. Honestly at home we avoid the tourist places.

No comments: